Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Kelly Hanson Sails Marine Complaint! Will Never do Business With This Company Again



     When I was a Young Boy living in Holland, a young sailor asked my sister and I if we would like to go sailing.  We, of course, said yes.  the memories of that wonderful sailing adventure stayed with me for more than 50 years.  When I neared the age of 60 I looked back on my life and I realized one of my unfulfilled dreams was to own my own sailboat.


I realized that dream by buying a 1982 Catalina 22 Sailboat- Sail # 10,839.  I drove all the way from Oklahoma to Florida to pick it up.  When I arrived back in Oklahoma I realized I had a lot of work to do (Gel-Coat blisters, leaking through bolts, electrical problems, etc). I solved each issue one at a time.  After all major repairs had been accomplished I turned my attention to my sails. They were in bad shape and I had to have new ones.  One afternoon at a bookstore I came across a sailboat magazine called Small Craft Advisor.  It is a sailing magazine about smaller sailboats and the interesting people who sail them (excellent magazine by the way).


On the back of every issue was a full page advertisement for KELLY HANSON SAILS.  Their add reads:


"Premium Quality, Affordable Prices, -Purchasing new sails should be a worry free experience. We guarantee you will be 100% satisfied or you will be given a complete refund.  We are the fastest growing sail loft in the United States."


After more than a year of reading their full page adds on the back of Small Craft Advisor I was hooked.  I called KELLY HANSON SAILS on April 26th 2011 and ordered a new Main Sail,  new Boom Vang and a new Genoa Car.  They were so helpful when they took my order and MONEY.  I was so excited that I wrote them a personal check for $700.00 for the full amount.  For the next few weeks I heard nothing at all from KELLY HANSON SAILS. I called my bank and asked if my check had been cashed.  They informed me it had in fact been cashed immediately . I'm sad to say taking money from my account and putting it into their account was the only thing KELLY HANSON SAILS was able to accomplish. I will not go into every phone call that I made during my 10 week  HELL ODYSSEY with KELLY HANSON SAILS. I wouldn't have enough ink, printer paper or time.


After eight weeks of phone calls on my part, Kelly Hanson could not give me the smallest clue when I might be getting anything I ordered.  Much of the time it sounded like I was talking to a 12 year old boy.  After many frustrating phone calls I was able to get in touch with a very important business woman from Englewood Colorado.  I explained the problem I was having with Kelly Hanson Sails.  She said she would do her best to help and in fact she would go to their place of business in person. After finding out they had moved to another location she informed the one and only employee at KELLY HANSON that I wanted a complete refund.  He advised her I had already received a complete refund which was NOT TRUE! I advised her this was not true and I had not received a refund.  She returned to Kelly Hanson Sails and advised the only person there that I had not received a refund and I would be contacting the Attorney General of the State of Colorado to file a grievance.


On July 8th 2011 I received a complete refund.  The envelope was post marked July 6th which was one day after the important business woman paid them a visit and threatened legal action.  From April 24th to July 8th I have finally gotten my money back. I can gladly say my 10 week HELL ODYSSEY with KELLY HANSON SAILS IS OVER!  Many thanks to the wonderful lady from Colorado.  Without her who knows what would have happened.  I would like to add that after receiving my refund I ordered a compass, Boom Vang, New Main Sail and new Genoa Car from CATALINA DIRECT and I RECEIVED MY COMPLETE ORDER IN 10 DAYS! THANK YOU CATALINA DIRECT!


Best wishes and happy sailing.


VERY FRUSTRATED EX KELLY HANSON CUSTOMER FROM OKLAHOMA




Note: I would advise anyone thinking about ordering from Kelly Hanson Sails to do yourself a big favor and DON'T!


I recommend you order from Catalina Direct


http://catalinadirect.com/

4 comments:

  1. Same story...I ordered a new sail at Kelly Hanson sail. THe quote process was pretty quick! They emailed me a Paypal invoice that I completed on June 21 2011 with my credit card. He (Arthur) told me that it would take 4 weeks to complete production. I was planning to get the new sail beginning of August. After wasting 2 weeks already though the design process with another guy (Trey): (colors were not in their system, emailed sent with no attachment), my order was finally sent to production on July 6th 2011.
    Since then, no news! I sent emails asking about any status...no reply after no reply. I decided to call my credit card provider to cancel my payment on Aug 30 2011. (Remember I made the payment on June 21st!!)I got full refund from my credit company right away. I warn KellyHanson sail through email about what I did about the payment cancellation. The day right after I had an answer! WOUAAH! The email was saying that my sail was ready to be shipped out. They wanted the money back prior they ship the sail out :) Big joke! Am I stupid? SO DO NOT EVEN THINK TO MAKE BUSINESS WITH KELLYHANSON EVEN THEIR PRICE IS ATTRACTIVE. That's the way they catch people, but this is a BIG HOAX! But most of all it is a big waste of time and depending on where you live, sail season can be short!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I have heard complaints from several people about this company. I recommend you file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and check out heir F rating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several folks from the HPCC event in Feb 2011 paid for sails. Some have gotten a partial order others like myself have gotten nothing but promises. The phone 303-459-2755 no longer says "welcome to K-H" Just a generic recording saying leave a msg. All the mail boxes are fullso I can no longer leave a msg.

    I have asked my bank to get me a refund and they say I will have an answer in 10 days.

    Looks like several of us will have to band together and send your nice business lady to speak with them ... again.

    John and Sue in West Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. John and Sue, Thank you for your comment. You may look at contacting the Colorado Attorney Generals office to file a grievance. You may also look at contacting the Denver area Chamber of Commerce.

    ReplyDelete